Illustration Friday - "Early"

So this week's 'Illustration Friday' topic is 'Early. At first I was a bit at a loss as to what to create for this one, but I started looking through some old works and found a coloured pencil sketch I orginally created whilst on a cruise to the Antarctic Peninsula in january 1999.

It was 2 am in the morning, and I couldn't sleep. I was way too excited. It was the 4th or 5th day of the boat journey at that stage, and the things we had been seeing were so mind blowingly awesome, that one felt ashamed to go to bed and do such a mundane thing like sleep. With all the fanstatic beauty right outside the windows you felt as if every time you closed your eyes, you would miss something tremendous.

The sun never really sets at that time of year in Antarctica, more sort of dips below the horizon a bit. So for several breathtaking hours you get this amazing light in the sky. Sunset and sunrise just become one long intertwined moment, like the colours in the sky have stained themselves there for eternity. It's wonderful and awe inspiring.

So this is a slightly reworked version of the picture I drew at 2am - very early indeed - on January 21st 1999:


Again, I have no plans to make any products with this piece available at 'Lee Lee and the Bee', but if you would like to see some more images from my journey, I do have some photographic products available for sale in the Antarctica category.

3 comments:

  1. What a great thing to do when one is wound up on a trip!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great story and so wonderful you were able to make a visual diary of your adventure.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...